First I want to make this clear: I am almost certain that what I am about to confess to here is something that you do, too, whether you realize it or not. And not just you, I mean pretty much everyone who has had the internet existing in their life for at least 2/3rds of it.
Hey, it's ok. I didn't even realize I was doing it, until a few weeks ago.
When I made the connection, I had to blush both with indignant shock and, I suppose, a sort of amusement. We can't help the things that happen to us as a result of the times, how some of our ways of thinking can be affected by the nature and habits of our generation, how technology finds its way to creep in there somehow despite the very best of efforts...it is something of a phenomenon, let me tell you. I'd be lying if I claimed to be immune, as much as I'd like to be.
I've noticed semi-recently that after certain kinds of thoughts occur in my head I experience an out-of the-blue desire for a thing, a gadget, something that is quite uncharacteristic of my "Yearns For" list. After thinking to myself in a particular way, I've recognized a craving for...an internet phone. Specifically, this want is for a device with which I could access any website that I would normally use to post status updates. Which is extra odd, as I am not a frequent status updater. Not even when I'm at a computer with plenty of things to say that I could post and thereby make myself one. No, if only I could purge these posts...
Examples of such kinds of thoughts which precede said strange desire for mobile web access:
"UGH, traffic sucks, people are moronic jerks, as usual, shoot me now...Gee, I sure could use a Blackberry..."
or "Woa, I almost got mugged just now! But I was prepared. Mace, in my pocket. So of course nothing happened...Hum, if that was a post on FB, I'd probably reword it. How could I be less wordy. I should get an IPhone..."
or "Ooh I'm going to store, really really don't want to go, stupid store, stupid shopping, stupid stupid stupid...Boy, Shmoe's post from his metro ride home yesterday sure was funny. People sure are funny. He posted that with his internet phone. I could post funny things from my day, with an internet phone..."
Ok, so I can't think of any good examples currently, these are just kind of made up to get my point across. Maybe all of this will never sound as it does in my head, or make the same kind of sense. Likely not. But, in a nutshell, I've been creating updates, or Tweets, to myself, in my head.
I am status updating myself. Isn't that insane? Like, literally, kind of loony? Sometimes I even try to see how I can shorten a specific thought, as if preparing to post it somewhere. Except, they never go anywhere. They bounce around in my head and die there, not always quickly.
And now that I'm aware of what I'm doing, it seems as though I'm doing it all the time! "Boss not here yet, round 25 min. down to 15. Score!" "Nobody is born liking licorice. Parents learn to like licorice, bc it's the flavor kids leave behind. Only parents like licorice." "How soon is too soon to make eye contact w/someone in a long hallway when you mean to say Hello as you pass them? Now? Now?"
It seems incredibly narcissistic that I a) do this, period, b) had a realization that I do this, then spent time mulling it over, and definitely c) decided, despite all that, to post a lengthy blog about it anyway.
Make no mistake, I have reason to feel guilty, to be ashamed. There is a difference between doing some serious thinking, absent-minded thinking, or even mental "writing" (all of which are healthy & good) and the frivolous thinking, which consciously entertains, cultivates, even, fluffy thoughts that mean little to nothing and just take up space and brainpower. In my defense, I've been writing in my head much more frequently than usual, more than ever before actually, at least for an extended length of time. Which is frustrating, ultimately, because my head doesn't forward them to a Word doc. or paper...Anyway, beside the point. Sure, some fluff is deserved from time to time. But to start thinking in Facebook/Twitter-esque blurbs on the regular? This is what's bumping over all those mental to-do lists & other pertinent "remember-this!" stuff off to the side of memory?
*Sigh.* I suppose I could write them off as "notes to self." Completely unnecessary, just-thinking-to-hear-my-own-inner-voice notes to self.
And now, I'd like to refer back to the preface of this blog entry...
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can't say I do this (although songs do flash through my head pretty much all the time), but the impulse behind it makes sense. Like it or not, texting and other modes of communication with very strict word limits are popular now, and that carries the implication that anyone not participating is missing out on something important.
ReplyDeleteI just hope that advances in communicative tech. slow down to the point where people learn how to use them effectively before they become obsolete. Also, people should have to take breathalyzer tests before signing into Twitter or eBay.