Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I came across this article (posted today) while looking for something along the lines of a "Passover Seder for Dummies" guide on the net:

Easter vs. Passover: What's a Catholic Jewish-Wannabe to Do

I, too, was raised interfaith, and I wouldn't have had it any other way; it led me to study philosophy as an undergrad, which was one of the best experiences of my life to date. But reading some of the comments on this article REALLY burn me. In fact, I'd go so far as to say just skim the article (you'll get the gist quickly, and the article gets kind of corny) and go straight for the comments. Despite my anger at some of the responses, I have to laugh at those who are trying to make a specific point (i.e. extremist/religious/political) and, in the process, negate it entirely, in one way or another.

Do people just stay at home all day searching for e-articles that go against their own beliefs so they can post negative feedback? I mean, this thing just went live today.

I look at it this way: religious texts= literature with staying-power. These were some successful writers, you cannot deny that, no matter what your beliefs. What if someone were to try to write something on that scale with a similar intention today? Scientology did pretty well, I guess, but seriously... (hey, it's my blog, if you don't like it go wait for your spaceship.)
I'm just saying, look how heated people get based off of the contents of texts written hundreds of years ago. "Heated" isn't even the word. People kill over the preachings of old books.

I did find the Passover Seder 101 info, too, and it would have been helpful had my hosts not been so gracious and accommodating and explained everything as we went. It's that kind of holiday, the story-telling kind, which is why dinner is like 5 hours long. Chag same'ach!

1 comment:

  1. Some people just like being angry. I write for an ad blog and I've gotten hate mail. Really.

    ReplyDelete