Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Fancy shmancy device & yes I want it.

Did I really not post anything about this? I was on a hunt and, though it wasn't too productive as far as my actually finding & obtaining what I was searching for, it was informative and I feel as though it could be helpful to spread the word to those who, like me, have limited time for sitting and writing.
I often think to myself during my long, long drive to and from work, while inching helplessly along with the other poor souls who crowd onto the evilness that is 695, 70, and rt 29 each day...I often think how nice it would be to just talk and have what I say transfer to a text document. Because all that drive time can produce some pretty creative thoughts, not just stuff to take notes on and explore later, I'm talking pages and pages worth of GOOD content kind of thoughts.

I've known this device exists. Just where and how much and who has access to it-- no idea. I was hoping I could find a (cheap-ish) hand-held version that plugs into a computer and then ta-da produces a Word document of that short story "written" on the way home. Of course you'd have to go through and edit it, nothing is perfect. Depending on what's going on around you, or how you enunciate, "cat" might be "at" and "where" of course may be "wear" and vice-versa (though "bowl" would probably never be "bowel"...)
As it turns out, this seems to be one of the biggest hang-ups about these devices, which do exist and can be bought by common folk. Accuracy, or lack thereof, to the point of getting a bunch of jibber-jabber text, is common with many of them. Or so I've read in a few reviews.

Anyway, here's what I've been talking about: Transcription Kit
And here is software, apparently the only one that Best Buy offers, in case you don't want to get a whole kit or already have a compatible voice recorder: Dragon Naturally Speaking

No comments:

Post a Comment