Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What does Murphy mean to you?

We all are familiar with Murphy's Law, the rule which states anything that can go wrong will go wrong. (And if you weren't now you are.)

I feel something of a closeness with this concept. It seems to be a general rule that's quite present in my life. It hasn't always been this way, not when I was a kid, but more so now that I'm in my (late) twenties. And I'm big enough to own up to the fact that, usually, the anything that does go wrong could have possibly been avoided, at least to some extent. Usually, it's a matter of preparedness. Which would explain why it goes into effect with adulthood, responsibilities. But, if I know Murphy tends to follow me, then I should have a higher level of preparedness than the average Joe. Kind of like someone with a compromising condition (any type will do as an example); you learn to compensate or you don't, and the latter sucks so typically there isn't really an option. And this admission makes it not Murphy's fault when bad things happen, when something goes wrong, when the only screw among many that could throw the whole mechanism off indeed does come loose. It's one of those "that's life, deal with it" things that we should be used to by now.

And yet sometimes I still find myself cursing the poor man. Good ol' misdirected anger.

I just found an older version of the law, prior to "Murphy", on a questionable website (which I'm quoting from but not recommending...), "[...]the original name for 'if anything can go wrong it will' was sod's law because it would happen to any poor sod who needed such a catastrophic event the least." Well I like that one. That is exactly how I feel when Murphy has really dealt me a doozy. (I mean, when I wasn't prepared.)

1 comment:

  1. My personal belief is that Murphy was a Freemason with more than enough resources to cause seemingly random misfortunes. The bastard.

    ReplyDelete